Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Charity Case Before and After

Recently, a friend on Facebook posted that she was looking for donations for a silent auction benefitting a local Kindergarten center. I offered to finish a piece of furniture for the auction, not knowing if it would get any bids at all.

I thought a desk would be a good idea seeing as it was benefitting a school. I scoured Craigslist but didn't find the perfect thing. On a whim one day, I stopped in at my standby Goodwill. There it was. A sweet little student desk and chair.



But that's not the best part....the set was priced at...WAIT FOR IT...$5.99. FIVE NINETY NINE!! Dovetail drawers and sturdy. I ripped the tag off and ran to the register.

I decided to paint it a pastel green and then tone it down with some Early American stain and some distressing. I thought about doing the chair the same green, but didn't want it too matchy. So I painted it white and distressed it. I recovered the seat with some fun, girly fabric and also used it to line the drawers.

Here she is...ready for the auction!






I hope she brings in a little money....or at least a few bids!

~Allison
Domestically Speaking


Creations by Kara

HouseofHepworthsBeyond The Picket Fence
src="http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff371/christinahibbs/20below.jpg"/>
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
HOG

14 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

it looks adorable! i especially love the fabric on the seat- gorgeous!!!
and how nice of you to donate it!

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

GET OUT! $5.99? I'm only not jealous because it is for a good cause! :) You finished it so beautifully! The fabric matched the desk so well!

Brandi said...

great job Allison! What a deal for 5.99!

oops! said...

Very generous of you to donate such a adorable desk! Your awesome!

Jenn said...

What an awesome idea! A little paint can go a long way and I'm sure this desk set will make some little girl very happy. Plus the added benefit of a good cause. Pay it forward, I love it!

Bon said...

Great job! Love the seats fabric!
Bon @ Drab to Fab
http://www.gorgfabgoodies.blogspot.com

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

You won't have a problem getting bids on that cute set. I did a french provencial set that I bought for $20 and sold it for $115! Girls just love them! Here is the link to mine!
http://creativedecoratingonabudget.blogspot.com/2010/08/for-sale-little-girls-dream-desk.html

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

What a steal and great transformation. I am sure it will sell quickly. Thanks for joining the party.

Tara Lauren said...

Looks fabulous! I am sure it will sell :)

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Woohoo! That turned out so fabulous. I'm sure you'll have lots of bids for this cute set.

Pam Kessler said...

Cute! And what a steal for the price. I like the cute flowered fabric you put on the seat also!

Christina said...

Great job!! I LOVE finding those great deals!! It just makes you feel like you stole something though...like I have to run out of the store before they realize there's supposed to be another "zero" on that price!! :)

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! I really appreciate it!! :)

driftwoodesign said...

Great find! Keep up the good work.

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

great deal! I hope she finds a great home and brings in some $$
gail