Upon seeing the piece in person, I knew I was in for a challenge. Though sturdy, this buffet had been severely abused.
Exhibit 1: Can you tell what that is on top of the buffet? It's a thick piece of plywood NAILED into the top with over 12 nails.
Exhibit 2: Horrid contact paper put on the plywood. Also, a drawer front inside the buffet because ...well, I'm still not sure what happened to the drawer.
Exhibit 3: Another huge piece of plywood nailed to the back...over the original back.
Now, I assumed that the plywood was nailed to the top because of some horrific stain, scar or problem with the original top. So I pried it off and found nearly perfect veneer....that now had 12 nail holes in it. I nearly cried. I cannot understand why someone would do this to a perfectly good antique piece. But not everyone is obsessed with this hobby as I am....so onward!
I found this as my inspiration. This piece was done by European Paint Finishes and I love it!
After taking off the plywood and assessing the top, I talked my father-in-law into stripping it for me to see if the top could be re-stained. It came pretty clean and you can barely see the nail holes except for one nail that remains...but that adds character. The doors were also stripped and then I stained both with Dark Walnut stain.
The drawer front that came with the piece was screwed in permanently. I don't have the skills to build a drawer and I wasn't sure this piece was worth my father in law taking the time to build one. Also, the ball feet on 2 of the legs had been pretty damaged so that instead of looking like balls, they were square. My FIL (as I call him) rebuilt these also. He's amazing.
Once all of the above was completed, I got to painting. I mixed and mixed until I got the color I had thought up in my head. I glazed it with walnut stain and here it is today.
I'm pretty sure I'm keeping this one. I'm going to sell my dining set and re-do our dining room using this as inspiration.
Thanks for stopping by!