Sunday, June 2, 2013

Ethan Allen Side Table: Two Toned Goodness

We have the most awesome neighborhood around. Tons of kids and  they are truly all great families. I don't think we even have one house that are "those neighbors".

The folks next door to us have given me a few free pieces in the past and this is the latest. Jon brought this over and thought maybe I could do something with it. I almost gave up, but I'm really glad I didn't.



This table had seen better days. It had a drop leaf on both sides, but one no longer had the support, so it just hung there 24/7. I decided to take the leaves off and a friend of mine is going to use them to make vintage signs...I love a good repurpose!

After looking in side the drawer, I saw the "Ethan Allen" stamp and I knew I had to give it my best effort.

After removing the leaves, I sawed off the remaining support and filled the holes. Then I sanded off the original dark finish on the top. I used Cabot water based stain in black..and it didn't turn out black at all, but I love the rusticness (is that a word?) of the wood.

I painted the base a medium gray, distressed and added a feminine pull.









This one will be at the Carver Junk Company sale in June!

~Allison
Elizabeth and Co.
Furniture Feature Fridays The Shabby Nest

9 comments:

Angi at drakestone primitives country cabin said...

Love the way this turned out.. So sweet.. Angi X

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh pretty! And definitely a quality piece that needed a good save! Way to go Allison!

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

You did a great job...and have awesome neighbors too! The table looks amazing. Thanks for sharing it.

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

Glad you saved it. It was a keeper!
Liz

Soupy said...

girl, you are so talented!!
Man, I admire your skills!!!!

Kristin said...

Love, love, love freebies. Great job on the table!

Kristin
Www.exploringdomesticity.blogspot.com

Beja {Howdy-Honey.com} said...

I love this! I'm so glad to see it. I just sold a piece that looks similar, and I was gonna have some separation anxiety. Seeing this cute CUUUUUUUUUTE thing reminded me that I can make another one with cute rose handles ;D!

Love your work!

Unknown said...

I can hardly believe how much better your table looks without the drop leaves (leafs?)! The paint color you chose is perfect! It surely will sell quickly. :-)
Blessings,
Kim @ Curtain Queen

Unknown said...

I just found your fun Paint Project and would love to have you link up and my party!

http://startathome.blogspot.com/2013/06/paint-party-and-giveaway.html

I will follow on my way out!!

Brooke