Saturday, November 20, 2010

Primitive Dresser

This dresser had been in my garage for-evah! I picked it up in early August at at barn sale for $15. The kicker was, it had 2 layers of nasty brown, chipping paint on it over stain and varnish...and it was OLD. The tag said 1936 from Crittendon and Company furniture. But, naively, I said to myself "I've always wanted to try stripping something...this is perfect!". Little did I know...

I got a bottle of Citristrip and went to town. After 2 hours, I saw the bubbling that I expected. But when I went to scrape it, it was a gum consistency. I worked at it for hours and then decided to take a break from it. I repeated this same thing 2 more times, and the darn dresser wouldn't come completely clean. I was D-O-N-E with it....so it sat in the garage like this for weeks




Then a few weeks ago, I read one of my favorite blogs...Primitive and Proper http://www.primitiveandproper.blogspot.com./


Cassie is a-mazing at transforming pieces of furniture and give them new life. Cassie took this dresser



and turned it into this


How fantastic is that?? SO primitive yet so chic!
After seeing this, I knew how I was going to finish the mostly stripped dresser that was driving me nuts :) I emailed with Cassie to get a few tips...she was SO helpful!

I headed to the paint store, grabbed sample sizes of Cabot stain in Milkweed (semi-solid) and Dark Gray (semi translucent) and got to work. One hour later, here is the result:


I know...I know. No hardware *blush*. I was rushing to get this in the car today and this was the picture I got. Not great, but I was really happy with the result. And it's already been purchased!

Special shout out to Cassie for all the help!
~Allison

Linking to:


Photobucket




Photobucket


11 comments:

Christa @ Stories of a House said...

Looks like the cousin of Cassie's dresser! She is always so helpful. Looks great, and congrats on selling it so quickly.

Cassie Bustamante said...

aw, thanks, allison!!! it looks gorgeous! you did a beautiful job! and thank you so much for your kind words!

Anonymous said...

This is so cute I love it when it has bits and pieces of the old finish still showing.

Brandi said...

Hi My friend! I gave you and award today!
http://bet1975.blogspot.com/2010/11/who-me.html

Congrats on your sale!

patrice @ duplicity furnishings said...

This is really a great piece, I love the look.

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

What a great find! You worked so hard to make it fabulous!

Jenn said...

Hi Allison! I love this dresser and spotted the cousin on Cassie's blog, the color is amazing. I, like you, have an affinity for the furniture graveyard and am amazed how much gets "donated" to landfills. I just started a blog myself if you want to check it out and possibly follow! Have a great day, Jenn

Christie: A Rambling Ophelia said...

Wow..I love it and it would seem meant to be with the trouble it was giving you stripping off her wrinkles..I love being inspired! Thank you!

Chrissie said...

This is a great piece too!

Anonymous said...

You did a fabulous job! Love the treatment and lines of the dresser!

Happy New Year!
~Michelle

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi there Allison~ Wow!! What a transformation- I love how this came out- the finish is perfect! Well done! Thanks for stopping by and sharing at Feathered Nest Friday~ Happy New Year!