Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Haunted Dresser

Usually when I am out thrifting or sale-ing, I pass by pieces that are already painted. I don't like stripping furniture if it can be avoided and I don't love painting over thick, drippy paint. But the price was right on this one and I learned a lesson.

Sometimes all a piece needs is GOOD sanding and a coat of wax. Less work for me, too! She came to me with thick, shiny, chipped paint. I took out my orbital sander and smoothed out some of the chips. I used Fiddes Furniture Wax in Jacobean on the entire piece and here she is today. I think she's perfect for Halloween!








I know pieces that are this aged aren't for everyone, but for the right person, it's perfect! What about you? Do you prefer pieces that are NOT already painted?

~Allison


The Girl Creative Mod Vintage Life
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Primitive and Proper
shabby creek cottage HookingupwithHoH Furniture Feature Fridays The Shabby Nest
I Heart Nap Time
DIY Show Off


UndertheTableandDreaming

23 comments:

Sherry@ Ties2ThePast said...

I like it!!!!
♥'s
Sherry

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

Great job seeing the beauty that was already there! I love how it turned out!

Kirsty said...

It's my favorite one. I love it!

Fabrizia F. said...

So pretty! Thanks for sharing!

Tami {Curb Alert!} said...

Love all of your work. This one turned out great and will be perfect for just the right person.

Kristy Creighton said...

I love it! I used to be like you, passing up pieces that were already painted. But I found a desk that was perfect for my daughter (and I had been promising, after selling two others LOL). So I took the plunge with a groan, but it wasn't so bad and it turned out great! I would love a piece that looked this "well loved!"

Kristy @ Shona Skye Creations
http://shonaskye.blogspot.com

DeeAnna said...

I think it looks perfect!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Chippy, rustic goodness!

Junky Vagabond said...

I'll take them however they come :) Not afraid to strip a finish, or paint over an ugly one if the shape is there. I really love this for it's authentic aged look - good job leaving it pretty much alone!

Sometimes Twice said...

I love it. I think I would have a hard time parting with this one!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i am a huge fan of this look! it looks natural, too- which is fabulous!

Megan @ Apple House Revival said...

Very Pretty! I just did this with a dresser that came to me too! It turned out great and sold in a week. Love that!

Jen @ Creating with the J's said...

Paint or no paint?? It totally depends on the piece. This is fabulous!

Nuestro Taller de RestauraciĆ³n Lila said...

Hello,
We have an award for you in our blog. Please, visit us.
Laura and Lisa

Vintage Street Designs said...

I usually pass these painted pieces up too. So glad you shared this! Now I'll stop and take a second look. Love what you did ~ the piece looks perfect! I like the heavy distressed look! :)

Trisha @ The Sweet Survival said...

Wow that is amazing! What a great transformation for not a lot of work. Stopping by from Shabby Nest - feel free to check out what I linked up.

Carissa Rasmussen said...

perfect chipyness!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Love it! It's a worn beauty. I'm featuring it in the PoPP Spotlight this weekend.

The Gingerbread Gem said...

This one is just perfect!!!!

Goedele

Dana @ CraftedNiche.com said...

Gorgeous! I love her!

sew sweet vintage said...

Love this look. Especially the shabby chic finish and drawer pulls! I posted chalk board table and chic americana to wow us wednesday:)
Following you now. Follow me too at www.sewsweetvintage.com:)

thepaintedapron.com said...

Great tip, thanks for sharing! Looks perfect

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

I've always loved painted pieces and this one is just darling! Love the finish and the cute little knobs.