Sunday, June 12, 2011

Blue-Gray Chest

I've been wanting to do a piece like this for awhile, but didn't have the right item. But that changed last week when I found this for $20 at Savers!

Photobucket

Because of it's unique size, it could be so many things...a large night stand, a child's chest of drawers, a chest for storage in an entryway.

I used the paint that I put on this bench. An oops color that I thought was blue (because of the bench), but on this piece, it looks more gray. Either way, I love the end result!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Love the bowed front!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


This seemed like an easy piece at first. The body was cake...but the hardware nearly gave me a stroke. I've seen painted hardware all over blogland. I primed, painted and poly'd. But each time I tried to reattatch the hardware, I had to use a plyers to hold the plates on because the screws didn't want to go in all the way. Well, you know what happened...the plyers took the paint off. A vicious cycle. I finally found some shorter screws that worked well! I'm glad, because I really wanted this look!

~Allison


Linking here
southern hospitality

Keeping It Simple

 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/Todays Creative BlogTip Junkie handmade projects



Photobucket

Domestically Speaking









Beyond The Picket FenceSomewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday




Furniture Feature Fridays
SAS Interiors
”Photobucket” UndertheTableandDreaming
http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/

33 comments:

Heather said...

Looks great! Glad you were able to get the handles to participate :)

Cassie Bustamante said...

ooh allison!!!! i LOVE how this one turned out! love that color- so awesome!!!! and the painted hardware is fabulous!

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love the color and the contrasting hardware.

Heather Libbey said...

Absolutely love this, and love the color you chose. Such a perfect little piece.

Heather Libbey said...

New follower, BTW!

Kirsten Harr said...

Loving this!!

Tootsie said...

awesome! this is right up my alley! I am a new follower from the dittle dattle hop...hope you will pop over soon! I do furniture/decorating etc and I garden!

Michaela said...

It's beautiful!! I love the color you chose. With such awesome structure the dresser has, the color just totally makes it pop (:

knack said...

you are right! this is a beautiful color...and piece! great job!

xo

hilary@oldhousetruelove said...

so pretty allison.

janice15 said...

Good morning, caught my eye great job you did..I have two dressers that I want to paint white..just haven't started yet the weathers been so lousy..this is beautiful...O and you bought it at Saver's I just went to one yesterday in Redwood City California..though I didn't get to look at everything..went with my son and wife and kids they all ran through it and said lets go...not a happy camper..if you don't mind where is your Saver's at? I'm a new blogger @ spoonwither.blogspot.com..hope you join me I have joined you...Have a great day...Love Janice

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Really cute! And a thrifty find too!

Susan said...

The dresser is very pretty! Love the color you chose!

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

What? No "special" deal on this one at Savers? Ha ha!! :) It looks so great~LOVE the color and the awesome white hardware!

Decor To Adore said...

Happy Tuesday!

Lovely project~ a true metamorphosis.

If you get a chance, please stop by my blog and enter the giveaway.

CrafterBerly said...

That came out great! I wonder if I can make my cheap Kmart furniture turn out the same way.

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

Wow, it looks AMAZING! I love the gray/blue color. Sorry to hear about the hardware difficulties, but I'm glad you figured it out! Great transformation at an awesome cost!

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

P.S. Found your link from the Dittle Dattle party. :)

Unknown said...

You are right that it is a great size for many uses and the colour turned out great.

Liliana said...

What an amazing change!
I love that colour
hugs from Spain
Liliana

DIYbyDesign said...

What a deal at $20! Looks beautiful with the grey. Thanks for sharing at my Swing into Spring party.

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Visiting you from Coastal Charm!! Love the little chest and the color is perfect! I know I get so outdone with hardware but yours looks great!
Blessings!!

time worn interiors said...

The chest looks much better now! I'm always amazed at what a little paint can do!
tot

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

Love the hardware and how the white jumps out at you! Great job:) I'm a new follower!

551eastdesign.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

That colour is wonderful! The drawers look perfect with this new lease of life!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous transformation!! Love that you painted the hardware. I just started a blog paty "from trash to treasure" and this post would be a great additon. I hope you'll stop by and join in!
alchemyfineliving.com

Elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

Beautiful transformation... wow what a difference! Love the color.

Michella Marie said...

That oops paint was perfect!! I'm loving the blue and white!! Looks awesome... Great job!!
Have a wonderful day!!
Sincerely,
Michella

TwoThirtyFiveDesigns said...

WOW! Digging the color combo! Well Done!

Josephine said...

WOOOOOOW, this is really really good ;)

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Oh goodness! This is sooo pretty. Love the color!

Rachel said...

Love the blue-grey color! It turned out great! I'm your newest follower and am visiting from Furniture Friday. Come check out my blog sometime ~ Rachel @ Loving life (absolutelylovingmylife.blogspot.com)

michele said...

the color is fabulous. awesome job!

come visit anytime.

michele