Tuesday, June 21, 2011

DIY Faux Headboard: A Semi-Tutorial

This project has been a long time in the works and I've been super excited about it...even though I didn't know that it would turn out well. I am calling this a "semi" tutorial because not every step was photographed.

I found these two frames at a barn sale last month for $5 each. I thought they were so pretty...but huge...26x38!.
Photobucket
When I found these, I was also trying to find the perfect headboard for our guest room. Do you get where this is going? I had an ephiphany that these might work as a faux headboard in that room. At five bucks each, I had nothing to lose, so I took them home with me.

Patience is not something I am skilled in, so I came up with a plan immediately. I took them upstairs and made sure they would fit. Vertically, they were perfect together for a queen bed! Eeek!

I got out the measuring tape and measured the inside of the frame. I then subtracted 1 inch vertially and horizontally and took my measurement list to Home Depot. I got two of these boards to serve as the backing for the headboard.
Photobucket

Next, I needed to choose fabric. I wanted it to coordinate with the new guest room bedding, but it couldn't be too busy, as the duvet has a lot going on. Here is the bedding...I couldn't figure out how to post the actual picture here...sorry!
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=451722&CategoryID=28892#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D18

I headed to Hancock Fabrics. My first stop is always the remnant bin and che-che check it out...the fabric of my dreams! *choir singing*

Next, I layed the boards on the underside of the fabric and traced with a yellow marker. I'm high-tech like that ;). I cut the fabric to fit the board and to adhere, used Elmer's spray glue
Photobucket

Once the glue was dry, I loaded my boards and frames into the car and went to see if my father-in-law would help with the next step since I'm not proficient with a drill.

Using Gorilla Glue and small screws, we attached the fabric covered boards to the frames. Forgive me...I have a picture of Gorilla Glue, but not of the boards being attached to the frames.
Photobucket

Once that was done, I decided the frames needed a little love. They were not as polished as I wanted to them to look. So I bought some DecoArt acrylic paint in Silver Morning
Photobucket
I should have touched up the silver before putting the fabric on, but I'll know better next time. Using a stencil brush, I lightly painted the silver part of the frame and then wiped it off, using it as a glaze. In this picture, you can see the before and after painting with silver.
Photobucket

Once that was dry, they were ready to hang! And here is the final product...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

It's not perfect, but overall, I'm pretty happy with it! I would love to know if you think it coordinates with the bedding or if it's just too busy?

If you want to do a similar project, here is a list of things you'll need:
1-2 large frames (depending on the size of your bed)
wood cut to fit the frames
fabric of your choice
spray adhesion product
screws and a drill
Gorilla glue
paint and a paint brush (optional)
proper hardware to hang the faux headboard

Would love to see other versions of this!

~Allison


These parties rock!

Visit thecsiproject.com
DIY Club




lil luna link party button
Transformation Thursday

Somewhat Simple Beyond The Picket Fence
A Little Knick KnackThe Shabby Nest

SAS @ Just A Girl


Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special


Catch As Catch Can
”Photobucket” UndertheTableandDreaming The DIY Show Off
southern hospitality

Tip Junkie handmade projectsPhotobucket

Sumo's Sweet Stuff


http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/





Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

59 comments:

Brandi said...

oh my goodness Allison, i love it. such a clever idea. i really love the fabric you chose for the frames. it coordinates well with your bedding. great job my friend.

A Little Bit of City Life said...

i love it! so ANTHROPOLOGIE!! great idea!

Cassie Bustamante said...

ooh yes yes yes! i think it is SUPER cool and i love the mix of patterns!!!! so yes, i like it. :)

michelle@decorandthedog said...

Oh, I love this!! I think it works perfectly with the bedding!!

gertie @ The Old Block House said...

It's adorable! The fabric and frames are both so pretty.

gertie @ www.theoldblockhouse.blogspot.com

. said...

They look fabulous!! This was a great idea! And they look perfect with the new bedding. :)

kathie said...

That is very very fabulous! So creative, and the sky is the limit as to how you could do others. SO fun!!

Red, Blonde and Burlap said...

This is incredible and it seems relatively easy! Thanks so much for sharing, I may have to try this one!

Kim @ Too Much Time said...

How creative and awesomely cute! I absolutely love the color of the frames and the fabric you chose.

Kim

http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2011/06/lamp-rescue.html

SkinnyMeg said...

That is so clever! I love the frames and the fabric, great job!!

Laura Beth said...

This is awesome! My guest bedroom is in need of a headboard...I might have to borrow this idea! Thanks for sharing.

www.astepinthejourney.blogspot.com

LrSchwtz said...

This is a fabulous idea! It turned out so beautiful. Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

love the frames, the paint technique and I love the fabric. Awesome job!
great price on those frames too! right at my limit!
gail

LovelyMTNLife said...

So wonderful! I just came across your blog, you are inspiring! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas!

Sweet Peas and Bumblebees said...

How cute! Love the colors! I would also LOVE if you would link up your project to our {{What I Made Wednesday}} linky party...it's going on now! And, I'm your newest follower! =)

~Briana
sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com

Becca said...

So great Alison! I'll be featuring this in my post on Friday on BCD!

Jody said...

I love how you made it tie in with the busy bedding pattern. My guest room bed has a very busy quilt pattern like yours, and I am also brainstorming headboard ideas. Your use of these frames has really inspired me. Thank you!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Whoa! Super fabulous!! Great job!

Mindie Hilton said...

Beautiful!

Hi, Besides a weekly anything goes link party, I have a new ongoing free give away link party now too. Share your give aways or enter to win.
Hope to see you soon at http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

Come strut your stuff!

BluBabesCreate said...

That was clever!

Ashley Nelson said...

What a great idea!!!!! I have been looking for a cheap way to do a headboard and this is totally perfect for that! Great job I love it!

Barb@curlywillowdiy said...

Sheer genius!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

I love this!! Such a clever idea. It turned out beautiful!

Katy said...

that's very pretty & I really like your bedding.

Unknown said...

Wonderful!! These great frames were a great find and I love what you did with them!! Headboards can be so expensive and pretty boring but this creation is fabulous!

Heidi said...

OMG this turned out so nice, I've looking for a cheap easy way to create a headboard for my baby sis bedroom. How much was the board at home depot? What measurements if you don't mind sharing?

Delightful Deets said...

Love this! Such a great idea, and I love the colors!

Jen @ Domesticated Nomad said...

It looks great. Such a clever idea!

Delaney said...

I love these & the bedding! Where did you get that great bedding from?
http://sweetteaserendipity.blogspot.com

Megan Gunyan said...

I think it looks great! Not too busy at all. Very anthro-ish. ;) Great job!

Ashleigh@Sincerely said...

i'm not sure how i'm just now seeing this but i'm in love! the patterns go perfectly with out being matchy matchy! so perfect :)

Casey said...

SO clever!! I'm looking for a headboard idea right now...hoping something like this will fall in my lap soon! Great job, it looks so good!

Life With Lucy said...

Seriously so awesome! I love all of the colors. Super eclectic and SO cute. You pulled it off well! Thanks for sharing!

Jamie said...

so awesome!!!!

Roeshel said...

What a great idea! It's beautiful. I love the color scheme and that it's completely customizable! ;) Great job! Thanks for sharing in the DIY Project Parade!

Roeshel

Kaitlin Saenz said...

Really love this! What a great idea! I've been thinking about making a headboard for awhile, but haven't decided exactly what I want to do yet! This is great inspiration.

I'm now your newest follower! Can't wait to see what else you do in the future!

Kaitlin
Come stop by sometime if you have a chance!
notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

So wonderful! I also had the Beastie Boys running through me head :)

Grace said...

What a great idea! I am going to try this with a few leftover frames I didn't know what to do with :)

Grace
http://www.my-tool-shed.co.uk/blog

Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you know I featured this on my site today! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This is really cool. I hope you will share it at our blog party every Sunday at decoratinginsanity.com

Kristy said...

I love it!!! I've been searching for headboard ideas for my master bedroom... this one is being saved! Very creative!!!

Anonymous said...

oh yes I absolutely do remember those frames and am SO impressed with your faux headboard creation. Perfect fabric, colors just snap together. LOVE IT!!

Colleen said...

How creative...I don't think I would have thought of using the frames that way! It works so well with the bedding and I love all the color used! It's quite beautiful!

Dana from Our Life's Legacy said...

Found you through Southern Hospitality. I love the colors you used. What a great idea!

Delaney said...

You've been featured on Sweet Tea Serendipity's Fabulousity Friday! Stop by & pick up your award here: http://sweetteaserendipity.blogspot.com

Julie said...

Holy Smokes! You should be so proud of yourself! It looks fantastic! I'd be so giddy if I were you :)
(ps. I'm your newest follower! I LOVE your blog & am also a mom of 3 little boys - pretty close to the same ages as your three! With that said, I know what a big deal it is to finish & BLOG such a big project like this one! Hahaha! WAY TO GO!)

Sara B. said...

Love the colors & patterns at work here. What a creative project...looks great!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That looks great. What an awesome idea. I would feature it, but I try not to feature the same person to closely together. Do love it though. Thanks for joining WUW.

Sharde said...

very clever and i think that its perfect for the bedding actually. perfectly busy if that makes any sense?! i really love this idea and i cant wait to try it out once brandon and i get into a real house!


the style projects

Unknown said...

This is awesome! So much less expensive than buying a whole new headboard.. and soooo much cuter! Hope you will share with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/07/pink-hippo-party-36.html

Tonya @ Love of Family And Home said...

Gorgeous!! Great job!

The Tall Chick said...

LOVE IT!! What a creative use for frames!! And the colors are such a great combination.

I would love to have you hop over to my blog to look at some of my latest projects, and I would be honored if you followed me and liked my page on Facebook! I'm your newest follower! ;) Gotta share the blog love, right? Hope to "see" you soon!

www.thetallchickblog.com

Julie said...

Wow! I love this! I think the fabric works perfectly with the bedding.
I have been in desperate need (okay, okay, more like desperate want) of a headboard for my master bedroom ever since I got married a year-and-a-half ago. Unfortunately, the hubby and I don't have the space, tools, or money necessary to make any of the headboards that we have liked so far. This is absolutely perfect! I have already showed my hubs and we will definitely be trying this in the very near future! Thanks, Alison!
www.lifeasweknowit-huffmier.blogspot.com

Blue Velvet Chair said...

love the project! Including it in my post today about repurposed headboards. Have a peek when you get a chance.
Michael
www.bluevelvetchair.blogspot.com

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

Wow, you weren't kidding. Those are adorable! Great job.

xoxo

Allison @ House of Hepworths

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I think the fabric works really well with the bedding. It was a great idea to use them for a headboard!

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

I love this!

Found you at A Little Knick Knack and decided to come by. Love your blog and am your newest follower!

Come by when you have some time and, if you'd like, follow along as well. I am also having a throw pillow giveaway right now that I'm super psyched about -- I'd love if you entered!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

This would also be great with some padding added.

LivingVintage said...

Very pretty headboard! I also love the pillows. Did you make them and can you point me to the tutorial?