Thursday, July 12, 2012

Re-imagined Ballard Designs Desk

Shayne brought me this desk a few weeks ago...it was in near perfect condition, with a cream, distressed factory finish. It belongs to a client of Shayne's, who wanted it "aged out". Admittedly, I was nervous...for 2 reasons:

1. This is a desk made by Ballard ($$)
2. It had a shiny, very durable factory finish.

Photobucket

I went through all of the steps for this desk. Beginning with a good sanding. I knew I was going to use oil based primer, but I didn't want to leave any room for error or take a chance that the new finish would scrape off.

I use Zinsser Cover Stain and it has never let me down. I gave the desk 2 coats of primer, followed by 2 coats of white latex paint/primer in one...in Eggshell finish. Distressing this one was more difficult because I needed to get through my new finish along with the factory finish in order for the wood to show through. But I did it, and the desk went home yesterday! Here she is in her new finish!

DSC_2835-5

DSC_2834-6

DSC_2828-2

DSC_2830-2

DSC_2831-3

DSC_2833-5

What do you think? Have you ever been scared to paint something?

~Allison



The Shabby Nest

Furniture Feature Fridays


Liz Marie Blog

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special



I Heart Nap Time

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

Home Stories A2Z

Primitive and Proper

10 comments:

Brandi said...

Beautiful makeover, Allison. I love the finish.

Cassie Bustamante said...

love the new finish!!! it looks so worldly! :)

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

Ballard needs to hire you. Like yesterday. This is amazing!

srpprcrftr said...

Oh my stars, that desk looks so much better after you altered it. Gorgeous. I'm jealous, would love that.
Yeah I've been hesitant to paint something but did it anyway and was glad when it was done. I just waited til I was really ready, had a good idea what I wanted and went for it, took my time.

michele said...

thank you for such lovely inspiration! found you at MMS's link party, always a favorite!

hope you can swing by:
http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/07/summer-sale-giveaway.html

smiles to you.

michele

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Very sophisticated!

Decor & Harmony said...

She is a beauty I love the color......maybe you ought a start your own catalog.

Heaven's Walk said...

Beautifully done, Allison. I love the finish and distressing. :)

xoxo laurie

leah mari said...

What a pretty desk

6th Grade said...

stunning! much improved from the original!

a few questions... do you sand your primer before painting? what is did you do for the "glaze"?

i bet the owner choked when she saw the results!!