Tuesday, November 15, 2011

How to Quickly Get the Look of Aged Wood: Part 1 of 2

So last week, I shared this weathered, gray dining table.
Photobucket
Photobucket

I decided that I'd share how I achieved this finish if people were interested...and they were, so here is part 1 of 2. I'm doing this in 2 parts because there are actually 2 different looks that can be achieved...and different people might appreciate one over the other. The great part of this is that you may have all of the ingredients you need in your house already! Woot!

I found this table yesterday on the "free" section on Craig. I love that section...but you have to be quick. I may have been cursing yellow lights on the way to this curb...hoping I hadn't lost out on great finds.
Photobucket
The top
Photobucket

I knew this piece would be perfect for the tutorial because I could sand the top to bare wood quickly and easily. This finish works best on RAW WOOD. Think pallets, etc. You can still use it if it's not bare wood, but it takes longer.
Here is the sanded top
Photobucket

When you have your piece ready to go, you'll need the following:
apple cider vinegar
fine steel wool
a container to pour the vinegar in
Photobucket

Place 1 piece of steel wool into the container and pour the vinegar over the steel wool, covering it completely.
Photobucket

Now here's where you need patience...you need to let it sit overnight and preferrably for 24 hours. I know...us DIYers are anything but patient. But unless the chemical reaction happens, you won't get the results you want.

While waiting for my steel wool and vinegar solution, I painted the skirt and legs on this table. It still needs one more coat.
Photobucket
(seriously, how bad are these pictures?!)

This morning, when I checked on my vinegar, it looked nasty. Exactly what I wanted!
Photobucket

I put on my rubber gloves and got to work. I've done this method a few times now and found it works best to actually apply the solution with the steel wool.
Photobucket

Once it's covered, you wait again...for it to dry. Repeat this as many times as it takes to get the results you want! Here's my table now:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

In this photo, you can see a piece of the wood that didn't get the treatment vs. the rest that did
Photobucket

Yummy, weathered and dried looking wood!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I read about this process on Pinterest. I will say that this table turned out very differently than the dining table above. But I love it. This was the first step in the process of getting that dining table. Stay tuned...in the next few days, I will do part 2 of the tutorial!

~Allison

Parties Galore!



The Shabby Nest
Furniture Feature Fridays
My Repurposed Life
Redoux
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

The DIY Show Off


17 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

i am definitely going to try this! love this look! thanks for sharing the tip!

Noble Vintage said...

It must react differently to different kinds of wood? I just did this process on some cedar for a Christmas sign, and it came out nearly black!! I also only let the vinegar sit with the steel wool for maybe 20 minutes? (I know you're supposed to let it sit over night too, but sheesh! :) )
I can't imagine what it would have turned out like if I had let it sit that long! Good to see that it can mellow with a different kind of wood. Your table is gorgeous!

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

Cool technique!!! :)

Kristen said...

Very neat! Thanks for sharing. I know exactly what piece to try it on. I'm excited!

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

Your table turned out great.

I "age" fence boards with it and I only needed to soak the steel wool for a little while to get an old barn wood looking color. A smoother wood definitely needs more soaking of the steel wool.

Well done!

Pam

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I saw this technique somewhere recently and loved the way it looks. I would love to be able to get that grayed with black streaks in it. I guess it might depend on the wood. Thanks for sharing it.

Rose Garden Malevik said...

What a Lovely Job :)
and do not miss....


S
A
T
U
R
D
A
Y

S
H
O
W

O
F
F

it is fun :)
WELCOME
HÃ¥kan ( The Roseman)

Ann said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I do have a couple of pieces that this technique would be perfect for. Maybe after the busy holidays are over . . .

Small Holdings Farm said...

Hi, I have just started experimenting with aging wood and your tutorial so helpful.. I am your newest follower and would love it if you would follow me back and get in on my driftwood sailboat give-a-way. Sherron
http://smallholdings.blogspot.com

nitesh said...

this is really a great information & i just love to do at my home.... i m still thinking that what i can do from worst to best...

Nitesh

Kristen said...

I didn't try it on anything big yet, but it worked perfect to age clothespins for a small project!
http://www.differentshadesofgreen.com/2011/11/christmas-twine-frame-tree.html
Thanks for sharing the process!

Good Time Charlie said...

Just awesome! Sharing this with my "late" feature party this morning. Thanks!!!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

great tips/tute!
The table looks fabulous!
gail

Anonymous said...

I'm your newest follower. Thanks for sharing this tutorial. I have a quaint little table I'm going to use it on.

Anonymous said...

A very good and informative article indeed .
It helps me a lot to enhance my knowledge, I really like the way the writer presented his views.

safracatz said...


Thank You! For sharing such a great article, It’s been an amazing article. It provides lot’s of information, I really enjoyed to read this, I hope, I will get these kinds of information on a regular basis from your side.
Mobile Apps Development Company in kenya
Apps Development Company in South Africa
Mobile App Development Companies in Nigeria

Jack sparrow said...

Very neat! Thanks for sharing. I know exactly what piece to try it on. I'm excited!
I have found a best digital marketing online training institute. I refer for the best offers and for best training.

complete digital marketing course